Oh media temple… It seems like it has been nothing but a struggle. After months of hosting FreshApps with Media Temple, we have decided to sever the relationship, the following are the accounts and reasons why:
Media Temple, oh how I loathe thee, let me enumerate thy failures:
- WordPress + Media Temple = a lethargic turtle on muscle relaxers that is stuck in molasses in January. In other words, absurdly slow. There are numerous posts out there that state that media temple has issues with word press, you can find more he re here. Yet nothing speaks louder than experience. Why is it, that a website running wordpress on media temple is unnaturally slow then as thousands complain media temple says it is not there fault, ignores the issues, then says that it is bad coding, blame shifts and leaves you to resolve it. Ahhhh the frustration.
- Support. When I was trying to track down and resolve the issue of why the server was running so slow, the only way I could get support from media temple was via a support ticket. That’s fine, but since they pride themselves in support, how can it be that the average ticket response time was 2 days! Then after 2 days I would get a response that was obviously copied and pasted that was just shy of automated, and did not address the issue.
Then I decided to have some fun. I created a support ticket saying “My Server is On Fire!”, seeing if it was possible to receive more than two responses within the same week. Nope… The response time was still two days.
- The Numbers: when I purchased a media temple virtual server I was promised much. 4gb of ram, 2.8 ghz processor, 1TB of bandwidth. What i received was a far cry from that. They always blamed the lack of memory or lack of CPU on “bad neighbor effect”. It seems as though that’s what they were using as the scapegoat, always blaming the bad infrastructure and network on the “bad neighbor effect”. And even if it is true, they had no way of fixing it, nor giving money back, no remedy.
Media Temple, let me count thy praises:
Media temple is not all bad, they really do have a couple of redeeming qualities.
- The best thing about media temple is the logo. It truly is beautiful. The design of the company and the website is nothing short of revolutionary. The logo with it’s acronymic namesake shown parenthetically. Wow…
- I guess the other redeeming value that media temple has is that The support ticket timer is accurate. When it says 2 days and 10 hours, they respond to me not a minute sooner.
To Sum it Up:
In short, this is not an isolated problem. It is not a coincidence that there are hundreds of posts and complaints about wordpress and media temple. To keep it short, I would not recommend Media Temple ever to anyone!
Stay tuned to see who we are hosting with now and our 2 cents about them.